Visiting the island unwraps the most beautiful moments of a long tradition.
Ammouliani is the only inhabited island of Central Macedonia with a permanent popoulation (600 inhabitants). It is located in the Gulf of Mount Athos and abstains 130km from Thessaloniki, linked by ferry boat to the opposite coast of Tripiti (Ammouliani- Tripiti 2 nautical miles). The ferry routes are regular and often during the day.
Until 1925, the island was a metohi (church property) of Holy Monastery of Vatopedi, of Mount Athos, then inhabited mainly by 2-3 monks, who were managing the land property, having approximately 20 assistants from the surrounding area. They were occupied with the fields’ cultivation, olive plantations ,and grazing animals. At the early of 1925, the island was vested to the refugees who came fromMinor Asia, and more concrete from the islands of Propontis (Galleme, Passalimani, Skoupia).
Coming from these areas, which were neighbouring with Constantinople, the refugees brought with them their culture, customs and heir tradition. Having the knowledge of living with and by the sea, they concentrated on fishing and managed in a few years to stand out for their craft.
The local women cook their local secret recipes. Aromas and tastes that the visitors find in the traditional restaurants of the island. They meet each other at the Folklore museum and make embroidery and sweets, show the visitors the almonds flowers which they knead with much dexterity and using marzipan. At the Folklore Museum the visitors also find the history of the island through its exhibits a stone built building dating back in 1907 as monastery property of Holy Monastery Vatopedi. The refugees later coming used the building as a school with kitchen and dining rooms.
Nowadays the building as a Folklore Museum exhibits the collection of the Cultural Association of Ammouliani, with tools, costumes, relics, photos, and lots others. During the summer the locals revive their customs through celebrations and feasts.